RE: DPAC Summit Presentations, Volunteers Needed for Committees
The DPAC Summit is an opportunity for DPAC representatives, BCCPAC and the Ministry of Education to connect and dialogue. DPAC representatives were able to voice provincial and regional concerns parents have from across the province. We look forward to seeing more parent leaders and parents at the Spring Conference!
Our 2017 DPAC Summit was held November 24 & 25 in Richmond and was another resounding success. DPAC representative heard from a number of presentations on current and emerging topics in BC education:
- BCPSEA 101
- Bursaries, Scholarships & Transcript Services
- The Parent Portal – Using MyEdBC to Support Learning and Communication with Parents
- Inclusive Education – Overview and Next Steps
- Deputy Minister of Education presents to BCCPAC
- Conversation on Playground Funding
- Ministry of Education – Supporting Students of All Sexual Orientations and Gender Identities
- SOGI 123 – Parent Perspective
- BCCPAC Aboriginal Parent Engagement Committee
Connecting with each other, with education partners and the ability to gain a deeper understanding of topics within public education are key to being effective parent leaders. We’ve now posted all the presentations online which means if you weren’t able to attend the Summit, you can still access and share the information. Help inform your parent communities by sharing the link and the presentations.
There were many discussions during the Summit which BCCPAC Board members will be following up on in the coming weeks. This week, on Wednesday November 29th, we emailed members our FAQ: Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity (SOGI) in BC Education. We will continue to communicate more information over the coming months.
One item which we hope to improve is member/parent participation in our committees and working groups. We are currently seeking parent volunteers to work on the following topics:
- Complex Learners
- Aboriginal Parent Engagement
- Website Redesign
- Constitution & Bylaws
- Resolutions Acceptance Committee
- PAC/DPAC/Parent Resources
- Leadership Manual
- Self-Advocacy Resources
If you are interested in participating in one of these committees, please email email@example.com
We look forward to more opportunities to engage and learn together!
Your BCCPAC Board Team